Tuddenham St Mary is a village and civil parish in the Forest Heath district of Suffolk. The name, Tuddenham, dates back to AD 854 and is derived from the Anglo Saxon "Tudda's Home". There are several entries for Tuddenham in the Domesday Book. The largest holding belonged to Roger of Poitou. He was a younger son of Roger of Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury and forfeited his lands as a result of supporting the rebellion of King William's son, Robert of Normandy.
John, the first Earl of Bristol acquired the water mill and manor of Tuddenham and his succeeding family went on to acquire substantial amounts of land and property within Tuddenham.
The present water mill was built in 1775 and was worked until 1954. It remained derelict until 1972 when it was converted into a restaurant, retaining the working water wheel as a feature.
John Cockerton was the founder of the free school, leaving property and land in his will to the minister and churchwardens to provide a free school for the poor boys and girls of the village.
Between 1943 and 1963, RAF Tuddenham was a Royal Air Force station which was situated close to the village. During World War 11, Short Stirling and Avro Lancaster Squadrons were stationed at the base and between 1959 and 1963, 107 Squadron operated three Thor nuclear missiles. Today, the site has been returned to agricultural land and little remains of the airfield facilities.
In 2005, the population of the village was 450. There are currently 296 adults on the Electoral Role.
The nearby Cavenham Heath National Nature Reserve is a breeding ground of stone curlews and woodlarks.