The Green, Tuddenham St Mary
The village green is a Registered Village Green owned by Tuddenham St Mary Parish Council.
It is the duty of the Parish Council to protect the green for the benefit of all the residents in the community and it is for recreational use only. On that basis, the council issues frequent requests for motorists to refrain from parking on the edges of the green and thus eroding the grass.
The War Memorial
Situated in the middle of the green is the War Memorial which is dedicated to all those who served their country as members of XC Squadron RAF. XC Squadron, also known as 90 Squadron was based for a time at Tuddenham airfield.
Tuddenham was one of the new bomber airfields build on land to the east of the village, partly on Cavenham Heath, close to the Q-site dummy airfield that had been established in the early days of the war. In 1943 No. 90 Squadron's Stirlings vacated Wratting Common to settle in at Tuddenham. They engaged chiefly on mine laying until converting to Lancasters in May 1944. The squadron remained at Tuddenham for two years until the station was closed for flying in November 1946.
During WW2 90 Squadron made 4,613 operational sorties from various bases for Bomber Command and lost 86 aircraft.